Established in February, 1960, NSGA Edzell commenced operations and was officially commissioned on July 6, 1960. NSGA Edzell maintained and operated a high frequency direction finding (HFDF) facility and provided communications support to the Navy and other Department of Defense and NATO elements.
The communications facility located at Edzell included an operations building located in the center of an AN/FRD-10A Circularly Disposed Antenna Array (CDAA), also known as a Wullenweber antenna array. The CDAA ceased operations in September, 1997 and was removed. The property was returned to the United Kingdom. NSGA Edzell and its tenant activities encompassed approximately 807 military personnel and 900 family members. NSGA Edzell was closed in October, 1997 after 37 years of U.S. Navy HFDF operations.
The station was closed by the CO of NSGA Edzell, LCDR Sharon Chamness and the RAF base commander, Squadron Leader Steve Bowen. At the end of the closing ceremony, the RAF Ensign was slowly lowered by U.S. Navy Petty Officer Adam Caudell. A few feet away, the American Stars and Stripes flag was lowered by RAF Lieutenant Sean McLaren. The silence was broken by the bagpipes of Lieutenant Tom George, who played a bagpipe version of “Going Home”. As the audience departed, We’re No’ Awa’ Tae Bide Awa’ arose over the parade ground (Originally published in the Dundee Courier on Wednesday, October 1, 1997).
Captain John S. LEHMAN, USN 1 Jul 1960 – 6 Jul 1961
Commander Fred H. THOMSON, USN 6 Jul 1961 – 27 Mar 1963
Captain Walter H. JESTER, USN 27 Mar 1963 – 9 Apr 1965
Captain John K. EVERSON. USN .. 9 Apr 1965 – 5 Jul 1966
Captain Harold E. JOSLIN. USN 5 Jul1 966 – 29 Jul 1968
Captain Edward W. THOMAS, USN 29 Jul 1968 – 13 Jul 1971
Commander Dwayne F YODER USN 13 JuI 1971 – 3 Sep 1971
Captain William K. MARTIN, USN 3 Sep 1971 – 8 Aug 1975
Captain Norman HOROWITZ, USN 8 Aug 1975 – 4 Aug 1978
Captain John C. McKENZIE, USN 4 Aug 1978 – 21 Aug 1981
Captain Isaiah C. COLE, USN 21 Aug 1981 – 10 Aug 1984
Captain Fred R DEMECH, Jr., USN 10 Aug 1984 – 18 Jul 1986
Captain Charles E. PETERSON, USN 18 Jul 1986 – 14 Aug 1989
Captain Temnce P. LAPIERRE, USN 14 Aug 1989 – 31 Jul 1992
Captain Lawrence C. SCHAFFER, USN 31 Jul 1992 – 17 Aug 1995
Captain Philip D. RAY, USN 17 Aug 1995 – 6 Dec 19
Commander Bruce L. DRAKE, USN 6Dec 1996 – 19 May 1997
Lieutenant Commander Sharon N. CHAMNESS, USN 19 May 1997 – closure
The U.S. Air Force 17th Space Surveillance Squadron was located at RAF Edzell, Scotland. The activity closed in October 1996 and mission and functions were transferred to the 5th Space Surveillance Squadron, at Royal Air Force (RAF) Feltwell, UK.
Edzell is a village in Angus, Scotland. This attractive village of Edzell lies about six miles north of Brechin and the A90 Dundee to Aberdeen dual carriageway. A mile to its west is Edzell Castle, perhaps better known than the village itself. Edzell Castle is older than the village, which in its current form and name dates back only to 1839. The most distinctive landmark of the village is the Dalhousie Arch, which spans the main road into Edzell from the south. It was erected in 1887 to commemorate the deaths of the 13th Earl of Dalhousie and his wife, both of whom died on the same day. The main street retains a useful collection of shops and services and a relaxing atmosphere. Coupled with a range of accommodations, from bed and Breakfasts to significant hotels, Edzell is an excellent touring base for eastern Scotland.
Towards the north end of Edzell is the main road junction, overlooked from the south east by the large Panmure Arms Hotel, and from the northwest by the Parish Church of Edzell and Lethnot, set amid surrounding parkland. The church was built here in 1819, after being moved from its previous location near Edzell Castle, which remains standing today, in its attractively ruinous state, one mile west of Edzell.
Royal Air Force (RAF) Edzell is located in northeastern Scotland at the foot of the Grampian mountains approximately 37 miles south of Aberdeen and 35 miles north of Dundee. Edzell, the village from which the base takes its name, is about 3 miles from the base in the Tayside region. The base consisted of 490 acres. The airfield at RAF Edzell had operated through two world wars, with 85 years of RAF service. RAF Edzell was built at the start of WWI in 1912. During WWII, the airfield was used by Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquitoes and bombers.
The site is currently owned by DM Carnegie, of Steelstrath Laurencekirk and is used for manufacturing oil services and storage.