The Purple Code, on the other hand, was issued only to certain key Japanese Embassies and Consulates throughout the world.  Consequently, in order to get their war warning message–that is, destruct classified files, and so forth–to all concerned, they resorted to employing this lower level code for expeditious dissemination. 

There still exists some confusion concerning the various alleged weather intercepts prior to, during the attack and following my interception of the key message of 4 December 1941.  The FCC, for example, testified before the Roberts Commission to the effect that they had received some three Japanese language weather broadcasts from 4 December, one on 5 December, and the last one on 8 December from three different stations.  Now, two of these messages seemingly contained key words of the winds code.  The second message on 5 December itself with and quoted the phrase HIKAN KAZI KOMURO repeated three times, which signified Japanese–USSR relations.  In their last message, which they claimed to have intercepted on 8 December, read NISHI NO KAZE HARE, West Wind Clear, signifying a break with the British.  That was repeated twice.

Now, not withstanding the foregoing, my intercept on 4 December appears to remain the single and only intercept of the true Winds execute message signifying a break between the United States and Japan prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  It should be noted that after the attack had commenced at 0730 a.m., Honolulu time, at 0800 precisely on schedule, Tokyo came up on its regular news broadcast and inserted the same winds execute code that I had previously intercepted on 4 December as part of their routine news broadcast. This was repeated twice.

This has been confirmed during an interview in 1960 or 1962, somewhere in that period, between Takao Yoshikawa who was then 46 years old–he was a former espionage agent who worked under cover as a vice consul at Honolulu.  Now, both he and Consul General Kita began to destroy all classified material on that date.  Local police and Bureau agents descended on the consulate about 35 minutes after the attack had commenced and carted off what residue remained. 

Back to the date of the interception of the Winds execution message.  I immediately called in Wigle, who said “Get it on the circuit right away to downtown Washington’s 20G terminal,” which I did.  In addition to the original message, I had copied two carbon copies of the entire weather broadcast and a log sheet entry was also made by me.

That was the last time I ever saw either the weather broadcast messages or my log sheet until 1960 through 1962.

At that time I was assigned as Officer in Charge of our Communication Unit at Crane, Indiana and had control over all our World War II communications intelligence crypto archives.  In searching through this voluminous material, I finally located my log sheet on the date in question. 

I had recorded the key words of the winds execute message and, of course, it bore my sine, “RT”.  No one else in the organization had used RT except me.  And incidently that stood for two things, take your choice:

Rough and Tough or Right Tender. 

Everybody knew RT.