San Miguel was located on the South China Sea, about 26 miles (1 hour drive) north of the U.S. Naval Base at Subic Bay.
The station took its name from the small fishing barrio (village) of San Miguel, a suburb of San Antonio, in the province of Zambales, on the Philippine island of Luzon. The station covered 2,158 acres.
The first NSG Dept of NCS Philippines was located at Sangley Point. In June, 1954, the NSG Dept at U.S. Naval Communications Station, Philippines was activated and in January, 1958, the NCS and the NSG Dept moved to San Miguel.
The NSG Dept provided communications support to Commander Seventh Fleet, the ships operating in this area of operation as well as Southeast Asia until the station decommissioned in December, 1975. Company C Marine Support Battalion was co-located with the NSG Dept in San Miguel. The mission of NSG Dept and NCS Phil were transferred to NSGA Clark AB, Philippines.
In 1991, the Military Bases agreement between the U.S. and Philippine Government for the use of bases in the Philippines expired. The former Naval Communications Station at San Miguel, in San Antonio, Zambales was turned over to the Philippine Government on September 16, 1991. At which time it was renamed the Naval Station San Miguel (NSSM); and the Phillipine Navy (PN), headquartered at PN Subic Bay Naval
Base (Subic Command or SUBCOM) was designated as custodian of the Naval Station San Miguel. On December 31, 1992, PN Subic Command was deactivated and custody of the NSSM was transferred to Naval District 11. On January 6, 1993, Naval Station San Miguel became the home of the PN Naval Training Command (NTC). The Naval Training Command transferred from Fort San Felipe, Cavite to NSSM. The PN NTC recommenced training classes on September 15, 1993. On July 1, 1994, PN NTC was redesignated as the PN Naval Education and Training Command (NETC).