The base officially known today as Corry Station Naval Air Station Pensacola (NASP) located in Pensacola Florida has a long and unique history with two very different naval communities that share it.
Not only did Corry Station play a significant training role in naval aviation before, during and after World War II, but the base plays a significant training role in naval cryptology and information technology during and after the Cold War! The significance is so great that Corry Station is considered the Cradle of Naval Cryptology!
Corry Field was named for the late LCDR William Merrill Corry, USN, who was born in Quincy, Florida, October 5, 1889, and died as the result of an airplane accident in Hartford, Connecticut on October 7, 1920.
LCDR Corry completed the course of training at Pensacola and was designed a Naval Aviator on March 6, 1916. He was pilot #23. Just after the beginning of World War One he was assigned duty at Le Croisic, France, where his accomplishments won for him the cross of a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor. In 1918 he was ordered to command the Naval air Station at Brest, France, and after demobilization he was assigned to the Naval Aeronautical Mission to Europe. In June 1920, he was ordered back to the United States as aviation aid on the staff of Admiral Wilson. It was while on this duty that the plane he was flying crashed and burned and though severely injured he heroically attempted to pull his unconscious companion from the burning wreckage, suffering such serious burns in so doing as to cause his death. He was Floridian to become a Naval aviator.
Aviation Training (1922-1958)
1922, a 250 acre site north of Pensacola was obtained by the Navy from the Escambia County Commission on a no-cost, five-year lease. Originally, renamed Corry Field, the base was the first auxiliary field established by the Navy to support flight training operations at the Pensacola Flight School. In 1927, at the end of the lease period the site was deemed too small and a new 500 acre site was located three miles north of NAS Pensacola was presented to the Navy by the County Commission.
July 9, 1927, inauguration of training at the new Corry Field. The facility became the home of Training Squadron Two (primary landplanes) and Training Squadron Five (fighting planes) for the next 14 years.
1932, Congress provided money to upgrade the field and construction of facilities.
1933/36, Corry Field was significantly updated with the construction of hard surface runways, hangars and other buildings transformed Corry Field into a first-class training field. Corry Field was one of the first airfields in the United States with a hard surfaced. The new Corry Field actually consisted of two separate fields, each with three asphalt runways. The longest runways were 4200 feet in length.
December, 12, 1934, Corry airfield was commissioned as a Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS).
December 8, 1934, Corry Field Dedication: The presiding officer for the dedication was RADM Ernest J. King, Chief of the Bureau of Aeronautics; RADM Ernest King served as the CNO during World War II. Among those who attended the dedication service was the mother, a sister, a brother, and other relative of the LCDR William Merrill Corry. At a cost of $1,010,000, Corry Field was the first modernized landplane training station. The dedication service took place in hanger 512.
In 1943, Corry Field was designated a Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS) and primary flight training was moved to other airfields in the area. For the remainder of WWII, Corry Field hosted advanced training in multi-engine land-planes, using SNB aircraft. A transport squadron operating R4D and R5O aircraft was located at Corry Field as well because the runways at NAS Pensacola were too short for the safe operation of these aircraft. At the end of the war, Corry Field was decommissioned as a NAAS, but remained an active training field until its closure in 1958. At the time of closure, Corry Field provided the basic instrument portion of primary training in SNJ, SNB, and T-28 aircraft.
After 1958, the southern boundary was given back to the city of Pensacola for the building of Route 98
Communications and Cryptologic Technician Training (1960 – Present)
During WW II, the U.S. Navy Radio Station at Bainbridge Island, WA operated as a radio intelligence facility as well as Supplementary Station that included a School to train Radiomen and Telemen in art of radio interception for the production of radio intelligence. October, 1951, training at Bainbridge was officially established as a Naval School, Communications Technician (CT) (Supplementary Training); however, it closed three years later in December, 1953 and all CT training moved to the Naval School, Imperial Beach, CA, near San Diego. Imperial Beach (IB) was established shortly after WWII, on October 1, 1949, and is considered the second CT “A.”
July 1, 1957, the IB school was redesignated Navy Communication Training Center (NCTC) Imperial Beach, CA; however, three years later the Navy decided to relocate the CT training in Pensacola FL at Corry Field.
April 1, 1960, Navy moved the Naval Communications Training Center from Imperial Beach, Calif., to Corry Field. The purpose of the school was to train enlisted men and officers in what was then called special communications. Today it is now better known as cryptologic training.
July 1960, CDR Ben Fricks Jr., commander of Corry Field, was quoted in the local newspaper. He said, “Corry Field could support additional schools. There is plenty of room.” His prediction was correct.
January 3, 1961, the first classes in cryptanalyst, traffic analysis, electronic Intelligence, Morse code, and non-Morse code intercept procedures and techniques as well as general service communications training started in building 511. During that first year, 450 communications technicians (now called cryptologic technicians) graduated and sent to stations throughout the world.
April 28, 1961, NCTC Corry Station graduated the first CT class that consisted of 10 CTO students.
April 20, 1966, NCTC Corry Station graduated CTSN James B. Fields, the 8,000th student. He received his graduation diploma from CAPT Jack G. Kaye, the Assistant Naval Security Group Director at Fort Mead.
May 27, 1966, ground was broken for building 1082, a 138 room enlisted barracks designed for 500 man. Congressman Robert Sikes of Florida’s First District was there to participate in the ceremony. At a cost of $825,000, building 1082 was the first three new barracks to be built. After the barracks was completed the building was dedicated Small Hall. CTC Melvin D. Smith was KIA while serving in the USS Liberty on June 8, 1967. Prior to his assignment onboard the USS Liberty, Chief Smith was an instructor at Corry Field
June 27, 1966, the new station galley, building 1080, was dedicated with a ceremony that included RADM John J. Lynch, Chief of Naval Air Basic Training.
May, 1969, building 501 received upgrades. Fluorescent lighting fixtures were replaced and hanging drop ceilings were installed, covering the 12 foot ceilings.
September 22, 1969, Corry Field graduated CTSN John H. Stewart, the 18,000th student. Following graduation CTSN Stewart transferred to USS Jamestown (AGTR 3).
September 1969, Corry Field held a ribbon cutting ceremony dedicating building 511 as the new Communication Technician “A” Branch School.
October 1969, building 1084 was completed.
November 7, 1969, building 1084 was dedicated Traughber Hall. CPL Stephen L Traughber was KIA while serving in Vietnam in first Radio Battalion September 10, 1967. Attending the dedication was Mr. and Mrs. Charles E. Traughber, the parents of CPL Traughber from Albany, Indiana, Col Douglas D. Petty, USMC, as the principal speaker and CAPT George P. McGinnis, Commanding Officer NCTC Corry Station. CPL Traughber received his cryptologic training at NCTC Corry Station.
1969 (fall), at a cost of $10,000, building 516 was transformed into massive special services facility, housing all shops, including hobby, ham radio pool, table tennis, badminton, boxing and weight-lifting room, a new photo hobby shop and a gymnasium.
January 26, 1970, Corry Field graduated PFC Tomas F. Shepard, the 19,000th student. Following graduation PFC Shepard will report to Puerto Rico.
February 27, 1970, the Corry Station bell located in front of building 501 was affixed in a place in honor near the flagpole. The bell is from the USS Machias (PG 5), the first steel vessel built by Bath Iron Works in Main. USS Machias was a U.S. Navy gunboat.
May 22, 1970, NCTC Corry Station graduated CTSA Harry L Lange, the 20,000th student. RADM Ralph E. Cook, from Washington, D. C. was the guest speaker during the graduation ceremony.
September 8, 1970, the FLEXSCOP Maintenance course was initiated at NCTC Corry Station. Formerly, this course was developed at the National Cryptologic School, Ft. Meade, Maryland, and was taught there during the past four years. The FLEXSCOP Maintenance course is designed to teach tri-service personal the procedures employed to troubleshoot and repair the CP8I8A UNIVAC computer and the associated peripheral equipment.
September 28, 1970, CAPT McGinnis addresses the first class of officer students assigned to the Naval Security Group Operations course, NAVPERS 94406. The class consisted of five junior officers: LT Anderson, LTjg Westwood, ENS Vigil and Dupuis, and CTT1 T. W. Davis. The course was designed to prepare junior officers for assignment to an Operations Officer billet at a NAVSECGR field activity.
November 14, 1970, Building 1090 was dedicated Graves Hall after CT1 Curtis A. Graves who was KIA while serving in the USS Liberty on June 8, 1967. YNCS Christopher C. Jackson, the first occupant when he moved in on January 18, 1971.
February 26, 1971, a ribbon cutting ceremony was held in Building 511 to herald the dedication of the first MCT-4 system installed at NCTC. The system, an automated Morse Code Trainer (MCT-4) is the first computerized Morse code training unit to be installed anywhere in the Navy. This system was also known as RALPH by many Morse code students.
April, 1971, LT Margaret Winters, USN, was the first woman student to attend the Production and Reporting (P&R) course at Corry Station.
December 1, 1972, NCTC Corry was selected as the new home for Basic and Advanced Electronic Warfare Technician (EW) School. Prior to this move, training was located at Treasure Island, California. Both the “A” and advanced schools are expected become operational by the end of Fiscal Year 1975. There was a three phase plan to make this effort possible:
- First phase (Building 513) – The hangar deck in Building 513 was converted to a CT Training space during 1971/72 timeframe. To prepare for EW training, block walls were erected on the large undivided space on the second floor creating classrooms. This construction was completed in mid-December, 1973.
- Second phase (Building 516) – Once housed a basketball court and other gym facilities, the hanger was converted from a hangar deck into classroom space. Like building 513, classroom walls were built to prepare EW training.
- Third phase (Building 1099) – The new EW School Building.
- Building 513 was completed first completed, followed by building 516 and then building 1099.
March 15, 1973, Seaman Apprentice Diane M. Frazen became the first woman Communications Technician student to graduate from the NCTC Corry Station since the rate was reopened to women early this year.
July 30, 1973, after several years of planning and hard work by a multitude of CTM Branch personnel, CTM “A” school was established.
September, 1973, the Chief of Naval Operations changed NCTC Corry Station to Naval Technical Training Center (NTTC), Corry Station, Pensacola, FL. NTTC Corry Station was among the first Navy technical schools to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. This accreditation certified the courses of instruction offered gave students college level credit for courses they completed.
January 17, 1975, CAPT D. H. Rand, NTTC commanding officer, turns the earth at ground breaking ceremonies for Corry’s new Petty Officers’ Club, called the new club was completed on December 27, 1975, with a cost of approximately $844,500 that covered 16,790 square feet. The club called the Navarre club was located one the northeast area of Corry Station
April 7, 1975, the EW Training Department moved into its new spaces in Building 516 with the first EW “A” School class ready to receive training. Naval Flight Officer EW training and EW aircrew instruction which has been operating in Building 512 is planned to be moved into the newly completed spaces in building 1099.
May 15, 1975, building 516 was dedicated as the Consolidated Navy Electronic Warfare School (CNEWS) at Corry. The schools consolidated basic EW professional training for six different categories of personnel:
- Naval Flight Officers (NFOs) assigned as EWOs with specialized EW squadrons
- Naval Aviator (pilots) who fly in the same specialized EW squadrons
- Enlisted aircrew personnel for Fleet Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ)
- Enlisted Electronic Warfare Technicians (EW) assigned as operators and maintainer for surface ships
- Submarine Service Electronic Technicians (ET) who perform the EW operator and maintenance role on submarines
- ELINT training Cryptologic Technicians (CT) of the Naval Security Group
The CNEWS school located in buildings 513, 516 and 1099 cost $14.8 million to convert and build with a total cost excess of $80 million.
July 14, 1975, the first “C” School commenced to train Sailors to operate the EW suite for the USS Spruance (DD-963) class destroyer.
August 29, 1975, Captain D.H. Rand, Naval Technical Training Center (NTTC) commanding officer, participated a ribbon cutting ceremony for the newly constructed Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ) at Corry Station. This is the first of the 3701-3710 series of BEQs. The builders of the new BEQ complex, Dyson Construction Company of Pensacola, began construction in May 1974. The 400 room complex cost $5,176,803 with the furnishings costing an additional $720,000.
October 14, 1975, Executive Secretary of the Commission on Occupational Education Institutions (COED), Dr. Bob E. Childers, recommended COEI accreditation for NTTC Corry Station. Corry Station is the first Naval Training command to seek professional recognition by the COEI. COEI is an affiliate member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
October 15, 1975, Corry Station graduated CTT3 Valerie S. Conway, the 30,000th student. In attendance at the graduation-advancement ceremonies held for CTT3 Conway were RADM George P. March, Commander, Naval Security Group Command, and CAPT D. H. Rand, NTTC Commanding Officer.
March 26, 1976, EW training expanded when building 1099 was dedicated and open for training.
July 9, 1976, On-The-Roof Gang honored at Corry Station. History was recalled as the memory of RADM Jefferson Rice Dennis, LCDR Charles E. Daniels, LT Max Clellan Gunn, Chief Radioman Walter McGregor, and Chief Radioman Harry `Pappy” Kidder were honored by the Navy, their families and friends in a ceremony dedicating five cryptologic buildings to them at Corry Station.
February 10, 1977, building 545, officially opened its doors Corry Station’s newest Training Support.
April 15, 1977, American Council on Education (ACE) accredited Corry Station Electronic Warfare, Cryptology, and Photography training courses. Graduates can get college credit, or credit towards a vocational certificate from a civilian vocational institution for courses completed.
April 22, 1977, Corry Station dedicates building 1099 as Kidd Hall and building 516 as LT Pedersen Hall.
April 21, 1978, Construction started on Navy Exchange. At ground breaking ceremonies for the new Navy Exchange Complex, local commanding officers assisted Navy Exchange officials and construction company representatives shoveled dirt commencing construction.
August 11, 1978, Corry Station honored EWC Rodger A. Wenzel by dedicating building 3711, the new gymnasium, Wenzel Gym.
March 15, 1979, Consolidated Enlisted Mess (Cross Winds Complex) opened.
February 28, 1980, NTTC awarded Unit Commendation.
April 25, 1980, Junior Olympic size pool opened. Ribbon cutting ceremonies for Corry’s new swimming pool, located adjacent to the Consolidated Enlisted Mess (Cross Winds).
October 1981, the cryptologic Surface Direct Support Augmentee nine week course of instruction, more commonly known as ADSOC was officially established. The course was designed to provide Direct Support and SIGSEC training to personnel being assigned to Cryptologic Shore Support Activities (CSSA) and a variety of afloat units. The course convened 10 classes, graduating about 200 students. Classes are comprised of CTT, CTR, and CTI (E-2 through E-7).
August 6, 1982, Corry new running track under construction.
September 3, 1982, Corry graduated the first civilians from the cryptologic technician (communications) course. The civilians three worked in cryptologic communications field at Fort Meade, Md.
May 1983, construction started on buildings 3744 and 3748. Both buildings were scheduled to be completed by July 1984.
April 12, 1984, ground-breaking ceremonies marked the construction for the new $1.6 million Corry Chapel was conducted between Corry Housing and the Satellite Unaccompanied Enlisted Personnel Housing (UEPH). The design for the new complex was developed by Chaplain McMahon and Barrett, Daff in and Carlan, Inc., of Pensacola. The new 14,000 square-foot chapel complex will replace the current chapel that was built in 1943 when Corry was a Naval Auxiliary Air Station.
August 16, 1985, Commodore Hopper, computer pioneer, visited Corry Station to participate as guest speaker at the Cryptologic Navy Training Plan Conference.
January 17, 1986, new chapel opened its doors. After long delays of almost nine months, Corry’s new, multimillion dollar chapel opened its doors to service the needs of station personnel and their families.
February 14, 1986, Corry Station received building 501 quarterdeck ship’s bell. Three ships and NTTC Corry were given the name Corry after Medal of Honor recipient LCDR William M. Corry. Base personnel searched for the USS Corry bells and located one being used as a command bell for VP 94, New Orleans, LA. In an inter-service swap Corry acquired the bell. The bell belonged to the third USS Corry (DD 817) which was commissioned in February 1946. In February 1981 USS Corry was decommissioned and transferred to the Grecian Navy.
May 16, 1986, Corry Station graduated CTOSN Paul J. Romero Jr., 50,000th student. The graduation ceremony was held in the Corry station theater with guest of honor, Doctor Gaspare B. Tamburello, Corry Station’s Commanding Officer from 1966 to 1969. Under his leadership, Corry Station graduated about 7,000 CT students.
July 15, 1986, fire sweeps attic of the head quarters building, building 501. At approximately 3:15 p.m. fire alarms sounded in Corry’s administrative building. Accustomed to unannounced fire drills, building occupants evacuated with precision into the scorching July heat. Outside, astonished workers gazed at smoke pouring from the top of the building. The structure was on fire; this was no drill.
October 9, 1987, first students graduated from the Navy Consolidated Vulnerability Assessment Program (CVAP) course. Designed to teach CTTs to operate various oscilloscopes, receivers, spectrum analyzers, signal generators in order to perform as Vulnerability Assessment (VA) operators. VA operators will be assigned duty in CLASSIC NOMAD/CLASSIC COYOTE Divisions at Signals Warfare Support Center Charleston, S.C.; Naval Security Group Detachment (NSGD) San Diego, CA; and Naval Security Group Activity (NSGA) Northwest, VA.
October 9, 1987, Morse code training moved to Fort Devens, MA.
June 5, 1989, building 3781 was dedicated Mast Hall, after LCDR Peter A. Mast. Building 3781 originally was built as the Universal Cryptologic Maintenance training facility.
November 7, 1986 Corry wins big at SECNAV Mess Awards Program. Corry’s Consolidated Mess (the Cross Winds Club) won Best Consolidated Mess, Best On-Going Program for its 24-hour Deli Line, Best Single Program/Event for the Spring Bee/Fall Fun Fest, and second place for the Best Happy Hour at the Consolidated Mess, Saufley Field Annex. This marks the fourth time in six years Corry’s mess has captured big SECNAV awards.
November 20, 1986, Corry Station dedicated a Cryptologic Training Exhibit in honor of the men who have come to be known as the “On “On The Roof Gang.” While Corry’s Cryptologic Training Exhibit is not the first to honor the ORTG (one exists in Washington, D.C.), it is the most significant! “I can’t think of a more fitting place to have a memorial like this than right here at Corry Station where we bring all our young sailors into the fold,” said Commander, Naval Security Group Command, RADM James S. McFarland who visited Corry to take part in the dedication ceremony. The OTRG exhibit dedication comes nearly 10 ½ years after Corry dedicated five of its cryptologic buildings in honor of OTRG members. The buildings bear the names McGregor Hall, Daniels Hall, Gunn Hall, Kidder Hall and Dennis Hall. With the exhibit dedication, the base further reassured that the pioneers who opened the door to a new Navy rating will live vividly through time.
January 1987, Corry Station wins the Golden Anchor Award. After two runner-up finishes in 1984 and 1985, Corry Station finally grabbed top honors in the annual Chief of Naval Education and Training (CNET) Golden Anchor Award Contest.
February 13, 1987, phase I of BEQ rehab complete. The $3 million Bachelor Enlisted Quarters rehabilitation of these buildings marked the end of Phase I of the six-phase military construction project that began in June 1986. In all, the three-year project consisted of rehabilitating by 1988 Corry Station’s 10 Main Complex BEQs and four Satellite BEQs.
Mary 22, 1987, more than 50 members of the 1942 Corry Field Boot Camp and Squadron 8-C returned Corry Station to celebrate their third annual reunion. For many, the reunion was their first time back to Pensacola since the 1940s when Corry served as a pilot training command and a three week boot camp.
August 19, 1987, groundbreaking ceremony for the new Boys Base. The building project was scheduled to be completed in 1998.
September, 1987, Corry Station opened new front gate.
October 9, 1987, NSGD Pensacola, building 3775, located behind the chapel was officially established.
Mystery of the three Pillars Solved
January, 1990, Corry Station’s training capability expanded with the first the class of Opticalman/Instrumentman (OM/IM) school, located in building in 3782. Other classes such as Instructor training and Information Systems schools were also located in this building. In 1996, OM/IM training was moved from Corry Station.
From 1995 to 1999, Corry Station served as host of multi-service electronic warfare training, with the addition of the Joint Aviation Electronic Warfare School. During this time, Corry Station assumed responsibility as the Executive Agent for the Communications Signals Collection and Processing Courses for the National Security Agency/Central Security Service (NSA/CSS).
April 11, 1992, the first session of Saturday Scholars graduation ceremony.
January 13, 1993, building 3744 was dedicated Carmichael Hall, after LCDR Kenneth Earl “Mike” Carmichael, USN (OTRG member).
August 15, 1996, the road leading into Corry Station’s main gates was renamed “Chief’s Way during a dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony. Escambia County Commissioners Mike Bass and Tom Banjanin were on hand to thank Corry’s CPOA not only for their efforts on the road, but for their involvement throughout the Warrington community.
October 25, 1996, Construction began on the new commissary. The $9 million commissary was completed in October 1997 and replaced the old commissary that was built in 1982. The Navy Exchange expanded into the old commissary building with home appliances, home furnishing and gardening.
1999 June, Petty Officer’s Way named. The road leading into the Corry Station’s side gate (north side) was renamed “Petty Officer’s Way.”
May, 1999, Corry’s Joint Aviation Electronic Warfare School (JAVEWS) class 99040 graduated one of its final Air Force classes before the Air Force element moves to Randolph AFB in San Antonio, Texas. Following graduation, these aviators were designated Electronic Warfare Officers (EWO). The course capped a year of intensive training for these aviators, whose training covered areas from ground school to simulators to flight training and electronic warfare fundamentals.
Establishment of the Center
July 2001, the Navy published the Navy’s Executive Review of Navy Training (ERNT). The ERNT determined the Navy’s training, however effective, was inefficiently delivered and was failing to adequately integrate new technologies into training development and delivery. Acting on the ERNT’s recommendations, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) created Task Force Excel (TFE) to begin the monumental task of fundamentally reorganizing the Navy’s training infrastructure, methods and outcomes. This reorganization effort change was known collectively as the Navy’s Revolution in Training (RiT).
Early in 2003, under the Navy’s RiT, 15 military controlled institutions Learning Centers under the Naval Personnel and Development Command (NPDC) was established and tasked to develop and maintain Sailor and Marine training continuum. One of these Learning Centers was the Center for Cryptology with its headquarters located on Corry Station, Pensacola.
April 28, 2003, Naval Technical Training Center, Corry Station officially became the Center for Cryptology, Corry Station, as part of the Chief of Naval Operations establishment of Navy Learning Centers in support of the Revolution in Training.
January 10, 2005, NPDC authorized the establishment of the Center for Information Dominance (CID), Corry Station. As a result, on January 31, CID commenced operations by merging the Center for Information Technology in San Diego and the Center for Cryptology in Corry Station, Pensacola expanding headquarter operations on Corry Station. This merger integrated training responsibilities for the four key disciplines of information dominance under one Learning Center.
January 31, 2005, CID HQ Corry Station managed all Navy Information Technology (IT) and Cryptologic training worldwide. However, training was performed by CID Detachment Corry Station, a subordinate command of CID HQ. During this time CDR Roy Bertram at CID HQ served as the XO and CID Detachment Corry Station Officer-In-Charge.
June 28, 2005, the Secretary of the Navy formalized the merger of the Center for Information Technology in San Diego and the Center for Cryptology in Corry Station, Pensacola in OPNAVNOTE 5450.
January 14, 2006, Mr. Chuck Bragg, the Executive Director and Chief Operations Officer, retired after 51 years of services, 20 years active duty and 31 years in civil service. Mr. Bragg is known by many as the Major of Corry Station.
June 30, 2006, the Navy Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (Navy COOL) website was officially launched. Headquartered at Corry Station, the program is a centralized Web-based hub for comprehensive information on certifications, licenses and apprenticeships corresponding to all Navy ratings, jobs and occupations.
July 12, 2006, the Center Learning Site convened the first Information Systems Technician (IT) “A” School class. The IT “A” school course moved from Great Lakes, IL to the Corry Station Learning Site. According to CID Commanding Officer, CAPT Kevin R. Hooley, the move will bring an additional 1,500 students per year to Corry Station.
In 2009, The Information Dominance Corps was created within the U.S. Navy to create an effective and collaborative way to lead and manage a cadre of officers, enlisted, and civilian professionals who possess extensive skills in information-intensive fields.
2011 (fall), CID incorporated naval intelligence training after the disestablishment the Center for Naval Intelligence and realigning the Navy and Marine Corp Intelligence Training Center (NMITC) and Fleet Intelligence Training Center (FITC) under CID. Additionally, two shore training detachments were established as training commands: CID Unit Corry Station Pensacola (CIDUCS) FL (assigned the cyber training mission) and CID Unit Monterey (CIDUM) CA. CID was responsible for 16 Learning Sites, which includes four commands and two detachments conducting training throughout the United States and Japan.
November 11, 2011, CID Unit Corry Station HQ moved from building 501 to building 502 (south side).
Establishment of CID Unit Corry Station Training Command
November 14, 2011, CID HQ officially established the training commands, CID Unit Corry Station and CID Unit Monterey, CA. The training Detachments became a training Commands. For CID Unit Corry Station, CDR Lucy Sung, at the time was serving as CID HQ’s XO and CID training Detachment Corry Station’s OIC. On the day CID Unit Corry Station was established, CDR Lucy Sung took command.
December 11, 2011, the NCVA Command Display moved from 511 to building 503 (north side).
December 11, 2011, the operational control of Building 3782 was transferred to the Department of Homeland Security.
On January 2, 2012, the Cryptologic Resource Coordinator Course was successfully piloted and executed.
In 2015, The Council on Occupational Education acknowledged Center for Information Dominance for completing 40 years of accredited institution status.
January 5, 2016, Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson released “A Design for Maintaining Maritime Superiority.” The document emphasizes “information IN warfare” and “information AS warfare” and demands the delivery of information warfare as a critical capability of the Navy’s mission sets.
Shortly after Admiral Richardson announcement, the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Warfare and Director of Naval Intelligence Vice Admiral Ted Branch replaced the term “information dominance” with “information warfare” for the community. This resulted in the Type Commander, Naval Information Dominance Forces, which identifies the Man, Train and Equip requirements for the information dominance community to change the name from “Information Dominance Forces” to Naval Information Forces in order to be consistent with naming conventions of other type commanders throughout the Navy.
Establishment of the Center for Information Warfare Training (CIWT) and Information Warfare Training Commands (IWTCs)
July 2016, as a result of the name changes to information warfare, CID name changed to Center for Information Warfare Training (CIWT) Pensacola and the four subordinate units were renamed to Information Warfare Training Command (IWTC). Specific commands, Learning Sites and Detachments are listed below:
July 2016, CID Unit Corry Station was renamed to Information Warfare Training Command (IWTC) Corry Station.
August 2, 2016, the Center for Information Dominance Unit Corry Station (CIDUCS) officially changed names to Information Warfare Training Command Corry Station (IWTCCS)
January 1, 2017, CIWT realigns its learning sites under the center’s four large IWTC school houses:
IWTC Virginia Beach
IWTC Corry Station
IWTC San Diego
The CIWT detachments at Fort Gordon, Georgia, and Goodfellow, Texas, reported to CIWT.
February 2017, VADM Mike Gilday, commander, U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/U.S. 10th Fleet visits Corry Station.
June 6, 2017, Corry Station memorial service marked the 50th Anniversary of the attack on USS Liberty.
June 29, 2017 – Navy leaders announced plans that an $18 million, 215-student dormitory at Naval Air Station Pensacola’s Corry Station.
January 23, 2018, Corry Station Observed USS Pueblo 50th Anniversary.
October 3, 2018, new Cyber Mission Force (CMF) training courses were introduced, expanding the command’s cyber mission training responsibility.
Jan 12, 2019 – A new, 215-student, $18 million barracks, building 1094, opened and a nearly identical barracks will be built to the west side of the new barracks.
April 18, 2019, Corry Station memorial service marked the 50th Anniversary of Beggar Shadow shootdown incident.
September 17, 2019, Building 510 officially opened during a ribbon-cutting ceremony. The building added 37,000-square-foot of temporary training space.
Information Warfare Training Commands (IWTC):
IWTC Corry Station
IWTC San Diego
IWTC Virginia Beach
Information Warfare Training Sites (IWTS):
IWTS PACNORWEST, WA
IWTS Yokosuka Japan
IWTS Pearl Harbor, HI
IWTS Medina, TX
IWTS Keesler AFB, MS
IWTS Fort Meade, MD
IWTS Groton, CT
IWTS Mayport, FL
IWTS Kings Bay, GA
IWTS Jacksonville, FL
Information Warfare Training Detachments (CIWTD):
CIWTD Detachment Det Goodfellow AFB
CIWTD Detachment Fort Gordon
It is important to note since 1922 regardless of the mission, name of the field or station remained “Corry.” The other three IWTCs San Diego, Monterey and Virginia Beach are named after the city where the based is located. Since 1960, Corry has continues to provide technical training.
Buildings and Rooms Dedicated on Corry Station
The three barracks are dedicated on Corry Station to honor those enlisted cryptologist who were killed in action.
- Building 1082 (Smith Hall) – CTC Melvin D. Smith was KIA while serving in the USS Liberty on June 8, 1967. Chief Smith was an instructor at Naval Technical Training Center (Corry Station during the 1960s.
- Building 1084 (Traughber Hall) – CPL Stephen L Traughber was KIA while serving in Vietnam in first Radio Battalion September 10, 1967. He was 21 years old.
- Building 1090 (Graves Hall) – CT1 Curtis A. Graves was KIA while serving in the USS Liberty on June 8, 1967.
To honor On the Roof Gang instructors and to connect Corry Station to the Naval cryptologic history, the following school-house buildings are dedicated on Corry Station are dedicated:
- Building 511 (Kidder Hall) RMC Kidder was served in the Asiatic Fleet and was the first On the Roof Gang instructor (OTRG).
- Building 512 (Gunn Hall) – Served as an OTRG instructor.
- Building 513 (Daniels Hall) – LCDR Daniels served as an OTRG instructor while enlisted.
- Building 514 (McGregor Hall) – OTRG member and instructor.
- Building 516 (Pederson Hall) – LT Perderson was killed while serving in the USS Enterprise operating in the Indian Ocean on January 13, 1975. He served as an EWO, AEWO, Instructor in the following squadrons: VAW 13, VAQ 129, VAQ 130 and VAQ 137.
- Building 3744 (Carmichael Hall) – LCDR Carmichael was an OTRG member and the first OIC of Corry Station. Responsible for moving cryptologic training from Imperial Beach California to Corry Station in 1960.
- Building 1099 (Kidd Hall) – Isaac Campbell Kidd was an American Rear Admiral in the United States Navy. Kidd was killed on the bridge of the USS Arizona during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
- Building 3738 (Mast Hall) – CDR Peter A. Mast serviced in the NAVSECGRU throughout his career. He died on October 7, 1988 as a result of from a heart attack while conducting physical training onboard Corry Station.
- Building 3711 (Gym) (Wenzel Hall) – EWC Rodger A Wenzel died on May 9, 1976 from cancer.
- Building 535 (Gary R. Schuetz Memorial Clinic) – This was the branch medical clinic, now the veterinary clinic. CWO3 Schuetz was a Physician’s Assistant. He died on September 25, 2002 from liver cancer. Building 535 was dedicated in his honor in late October 2004.
- Chuck Bragg conference room located on the upper deck of building 501. Mr Bragg is a retired CTTCS and former Executive Director to the Commander Officer. He provided primary oversight of all NTTC/CID detachments from the late 1970s until 2006.
- Dan Lynch Conference room located in building 513, room 134. Mr. Lynch was in charge of Cryptologic training systems on Corry Station. This room was dedicated between 1999 and 2000.
- EWCM(SW) Richard A. Mahanke Conference room located in building 3738 (Mast Hall). Master Chief Makanke served as the Fleet/Functional Integration Manager for Corry Station.
- James Daniel Campbell (JD) MGySgt (ret) died on February 23, 2009, while serving Information Assurance Manager (IAM) for Corry Station.
- EWCM(SW) Wayne Pollock Conference room located in building 516, room 122. This room dedicated on June 21, 1999.
Naval Communications Training Center (NCTC):
CDR Ben Fricks, Jr. Mar 1960 Aug 1960
*CAPT Rudolph J. Fabian Aug 1960 Jun 1961
CDR Ben Fricks, Jr. Jun 1961 Aug 1961
CAPT John S. Lehman Aug 1961 Jun 1965
CAPT James C. Hargreaves Jun 1965 Jul 1966
CAPT Gaspare B. Tamburello Jul 1966 Jul 1969
CAPT George P. McGinnis Jul 1969 Aug 1971
Naval Technical Training Center (NTTC):
CAPT Emerson C. Dehn Aug 1971 Sep 1973
CAPT Donald H. Rand Aug 1974 Jun 1977
CAPT Jerome J. Galinsky Jun 1977 Jun 1980
CAPT Charles L. Burns Jun 1980 Jul 1982
CAPT Denny M. Carder Jul 1982 Nov 1984
CAPT David C. Gill Nov 1984 Sep 1987
CAPT Joseph D. Burns Sep 1987 Jul 1990
CAPT Ivan M. Dunn Jul 1990 Jun 1993
CAPT George M. Schu Jun 1993 Aug 1996
CAPT Hugh F. Doherty Aug 1996 Aug 1999
CAPT Ronald J. Wojdyla Aug 1999 Aug 2001
CAPT Edward H. Deets Aug 2001 Nov 2002
Center for Cryptology:
CAPT Edward H. Deets Nov 2002 Aug 2004
CAPT Kevin R. Hooley Aug 2004 Jan 2005
Center for Information Dominance (CID):
CAPT Kevin R. Hooley Jan 2004 Aug 2007
CAPT Connie L. Frizzell Aug 2007 Jun 2009
CAPT Gary Edwards Jun 2009 Oct 2011
CAPT Susan K. Cerovsky Oct 2011 Sep 2014
CAPT Maureen Fox Sep 2014 May 2016
CAPT William “Bill” Lintz May 2016 Jul 2016
Center for Information Warfare Training (CIWT):
CAPT William “Bill” Lintz Jul 2016 May 2018
CAPT Nicholas Andrews May 2018 Present
*OIC of COMINT Station “C” on Corregidor Island Philippians. On February 4, 1942, CAPT Fabian was in the first of three groups to evacuees off the island because of the Japanese invasion of the Island. CAPT Fabian established COMINT intercept site in Melbourne Australia for the remainder of the WWII. He was also the first permanent NCTC Commanding Officer.
CID Unit Corry Station Commanding Officers:
CDR Lucy Sung Nov 2011 Jul 2013
CDR Christopher Bryant Jul 2013 Sep 2015
CDR Christopher Eng Sep 2015 Jul 2016
IWTC Corry Station Commanding Officers:
CDR Christopher Eng Jul 2016 Sep 2017
CDR Chad Smith Sep 2017 Jul 2019
CDR Zachary Mckeehan Jul 2019 Present
U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veterans Association (NCVA)
CIWT Pensacola (Head Quarters)
IWTC Corry Station
U.S. Naval Air Stations of World War II, by M. L. Shettle, Jr.
By Mario Vulcano