From NCTC Detachment to IWTC Det Goodfellow
53 years ago today, the Navy Communication Training Center (NCTC) Detachment was established at Goodfellow on August 19, 1966 under the command and support of the Chief of Naval Personnel.
In September 1973, NCTC Corry Station officially became the Naval Technical Training Center (NTTC), Corry Station, Pensacola, FL and the NCTC Detachment at Goodfellow also realigned the command name to NTTC Detachment, Goodfellow AFB, San Angeles, TX.
Early in 2003, under the Navy’s RiT, 14 military controlled institutions Learning Centers under the Naval Personnel and Development Command (NPDC) was established and tasked to develop and maintain Sailor and Marine training continuum. One of these Learning Centers was the Center for Cryptology at Goodfellow.
Three years later in January, 2005 NPDC authorized the establishment of the Center for Information Dominance (CID) Corry Station and all subordinate commands followed the naming convention and again the Detachment name was changed to CID Goodfellow.
On January 5, 2016 Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson released “A Design for Maintaining Maritime Superiority.” The document emphasizes “information IN warfare” and “information AS warfare” and demands the delivery of information warfare as a critical capability of the Navy’s mission sets.
Shortly after Admiral Richardson announcement, the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Warfare and Director of Naval Intelligence Vice Admiral Ted Branch replaced the term “information dominance” with “information warfare” for the community. This resulted in the Type Commander, Naval Information Dominance Forces, which identifies the Man, Train and Equip requirements for the information dominance community to change the name from “Information Dominance Forces” to Naval Information Forces in order to be consistent with naming conventions of other type commanders throughout the Navy.
In July 2016, as a result of the name changes to information warfare, CID name change to Center for Information Warfare Training (CIWT) Pensacola and the four subordinate units Corry Station, Monterey, San Diego and Virginia Beach were renamed to Information Warfare Training Command (IWTC). CID Goodfellow’s name also changed to the Center Information Warfare Training Detachment (CIWT) Det Goodfellow.
Goodfellow’s history traces to the days before Pearl Harbor. The base was named after 1Lt John J. Goodfellow, Jr., of San Angelo, Texas. On September 14, 1918 Lieutenant Goodfellow boarded his Salmson 2A2 observation plane at Gondreville Airfield in France to conduct visual reconnaissance behind enemy lines. The mission was part of a larger undertaking just underway, a major American offensive intended to reduce the German salient near St. Mihiel. Unfortunately, adverse weather permitted observation only from reduced altitude, a condition which exposed the lumbering Salmson to enemy pursuit. Three days later, the offensive a success, the young pilot’s remains were recovered from his ruined craft and interred at the U.S. military cemetery near Nancy, France.
After the conclusion of World War I, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt began a program of preparedness which included the construction of facilities dedicated to advanced air training. Several such bases were envisioned for Texas and one, specifically, for the Fort Worth-Midland-San Angelo triangle. San Angelo made an offer to the War Department of sewage and electrical service, a railroad spur, and a 50-year lease on 640 acres at one dollar per year.
San Angelo Air Corps Basic Flying School was officially established on 17 August 17,The base was ready for occupancy by January 21, 1941 and the first classes of students soon arrived. On June 11, 1941 in dedication to a young hero and in tribute to the community that shaped him, the base was officially renamed Goodfellow Field.
The next four years witnessed the graduation of more than 10,000 trained pilots and the decoration of scores of these for outstanding heroism in action against Germany, Italy, and Japan. The Axis collapse did not dissolve the Goodfellow mission. Goodfellow continued to train pilots into the post war, first on the AT-6 “Texan” and then, beginning in 1954, on the twin-engine B-25 “Mitchell.” On September 3, 1958, with nearly 20,000 aviators to its credit, Goodfellow graduated its last class of pilots.
The base was transferred from Air Training Command to the USAF Security Service. Goodfellow’s mission became the training of Air Force personnel in the advanced cryptologic skills that the Security Service required at installations worldwide. Eight years later, in 1966, the mission expanded further to include joint-service training in these same skills for Army, Navy, and Marine Corps personnel.
After 38 years of pilot and then intelligence training, Goodfellow’s mission had apparently come to a close with the announcement in 1978 that the base would revert to Air Training Command and was a candidate for closure. Since Goodfellow was a single-mission facility, its mission could perhaps be executed more economically elsewhere.
The Air Force decided to consolidate all Air Force managed intelligence training at one location. The site selected was Goodfellow, and the base was designated a Technical Training Center on March 1, 1985. During the next three years, intelligence training consolidation brought to Goodfellow advanced imagery training from Offutt AFB, NE; electronic intelligence operations training from Keesler AFB, MS; and targeting intelligence applications and general intelligence training from Lowry AFB, CO. The consolidation of intelligence training on June 30, 1988 facilitated the development of intelligence training integration, a multi-disciplinary approach to the training of intelligence professionals.
On July 1, 1993, the 17th Training Wing was activated on Goodfellow AFB. With the change in name came a marked diversification and increase in Goodfellow’s mission. Rounds one and two of the base realignment and closure process transferred special instruments training from Lowry AFB and fire protection training from Chanute AFB to Goodfellow. To support the increased training load, Goodfellow underwent extensive modernization and growth. With new training facilities, dormitories, dining halls, a commissary, a youth center and a physical fitness center, Goodfellow entered its second half-century of operation as one of the most modern installations in the Air Force.