Today at 1000 (EST), under the leadership of VADM T. J. White, Cryptologic Warfare Group-SIX (CWG-SIX) will establish Cryptologic Warfare Activity (CWA) 65, Cryptologic Warfare Activity (CWA) 66 and Cryptologic Warfare Activity (CWA) 67. CDR Mark Boggis will take command of CWA 65, CDR Joseph Harrison will take command of CWA 66 and CDR William Wilson will take command of CWA 67.
A brief history of CWG-SIX:
Cryptologic Warfare Group SIX, formerly known as Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC) Maryland, and prior to that, Naval Security Group Activity (NSGA) Fort Meade, celebrates a distinguished history which includes several timely realignments that have positioned us to maximize potential by delivering quality intelligence and operational support to both the warfighters and decision-makers.
CWG-6 was established on June 9, 2017 during a ceremony that also included the establishment of three additional subordinate commands: Cryptologic Warfare Maritime Activity (CWMA) 61, Cyber Strike Activity (CSA) 63 and Cyber Defense Activity (CDA) 64.
The previous command re-structure took place on September 30, 2005, when Naval Security Group Command merged with the Naval Network Warfare Command as part of a Chief of Naval Operations-directed Naval transformation strategy.
NSGA Fort Meade was re-designated as NIOC Maryland and assigned parent command responsibilities for Navy Information Operations Detachment Alice Springs, Australia. In January 2010, NIOC Maryland shifted OPCON to U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/ Commander U. S. Tenth Fleet and ADCON to the same in April 2011.
The history of the command is a storied one. NSGA Fort Meade was established by the Secretary of the Navy on July 17, 1957, falling under the auspices of the Commander, Naval Security Group (CNSG). The command went on to become the largest NSGA, with a complement of over 2,000 officer, enlisted and civilian personnel, and existed as a tenant command on the Fort George G. Meade Garrison.
Since the command’s founding, the mission of providing cryptologic and related intelligence support to worldwide theaters has changed significantly. Two events, in particular, played a key role in these changes. First, was the establishment in 1981 of CLASSIC PALADIN, which provided the command with a Cryptologic Direct Support mission. Second, was the shift of the Operations Department from CNSG to the control of the NSGA Fort Meade commanding officer.
As the nation’s responsibilities changed (along with the 1996 move of Headquarters, Naval Security Group and support elements of the Naval Security Station, Washington, D.C. to Fort Meade), the command continued growing and increasing its varied missions. The command has responded forcefully and capably to every challenge, improving facilities and revising programs as required. On May 1, 1997, the command added the additional responsibility from Naval District Washington of providing Casualty Assistance Calls and Funeral Honors Support for six counties within the state of Maryland.
CWG-6 has undergone many changes, but has always delivered a strong, capable force. The command has enjoyed Admiral Elmo Zumwalt Five-Star status for its Bachelor Quarters since 2002; was selected as Chamber of Commerce Military Unit of the Year for 2006; earned the Rear Admiral G. P. March Foreign Language Excellence Award for five consecutive years (2005 through 2009) and the Department of Defense Language Excellence Award in 2008 and 2009. Additionally, the command earned the Navy’s Retention Excellence Award in 2009 and 2010. In 2012, NIOC won the Project Good Neighbor Flagship in the Large Shore Category Region for Naval District Washington. NIOC’s latest achievements include winning the 2013 Campaign Drug Free Flagship for the Large Shore Category Region for Naval District Washington, the 2013 World of Thanks Award from Naval District Washington, the 2013 Presidential Call to Action (Command-level PVSA), the 2013 Fort Meade Volunteer Unit of the Year and the Fort Meade Garrison Unit of the Year Award.
Actual construction began in July, 1917. The first contingent of troops arrived in September, 1917. Other name changes occurred after construction of 1,460 buildings on the site, when it became Camp George Gordon Meade. During World War I, more than 100,000 men passed through Fort Meade, a training site for three infantry divisions, three training battalions and one depot brigade. In 1928, when the post was renamed Fort Leonard Wood, Pennsylvanians registered such a large protest, that the installation was permanently named Fort George G. Meade on March 5, 1929. The post was named for Major General George Gordon Meade, whose defensive strategy at the Battle of Gettysburg proved a major factor in turning the tide of the Civil War in favor of the North.
Fort Meade was used as a basic training post and a prisoner of war camp during World War II. Its ranges and other facilities were used by more than 200 units and approximately 3,500,000 men between 1942 and 1946. The wartime peak-military personnel figure at Fort Meade was reached in March, 1945, 70,000. With the conclusion of World War II, Fort Meade reverted to routine peacetime activities.
On June 15, 1947, the Second U.S. Army Headquarters transferred from Baltimore, MD to Ft. Meade. This transfer brought an acceleration of post activity because Second Army Headquarters exercised command over Army units throughout a then seven-state area. In the 1950s, the post became headquarters of the National Security Agency (NSA). On January 1, 1966, the Second U.S. Army merged with the First U.S. Army. The consolidated headquarters moved from Fort Jay, N.Y. to Fort Meade to administer activities of Army installations in a 15-state area.