The Naval Security Group first represented in Naples Italy 1952 as Communication Security Unit 601.
Six years later, in 1958, Unit 601 was changed to U.S. Naval Security Group Det. On October 1, 1979, NSGD was administratively disestablished, and U.S. Naval Security Group Activity (NSGA) was established. Two years later in 1981, STREAMLINER and TACINTEL were installed.
At the time, NSGA Naples was an echelon three command reporting to Commander, Naval Security Group Command with Commander in Chief, U.S. Naval Forces Europe, exercises operational control over the command.
The mission of NSGA Naples is diverse and dynamic. The men and women of the command provided cryptologic training and electronic warfare expertise to naval commanders throughout Europe and the Middle East. This support took the form of signals security or communications security material system advice and assistance, planning or fleet exercises, communications service, cryptologic equipment maintenance, or the actual deployment of cryptologic personnel and equipment. Personnel deploy in support of ships and submarines in the U.S. Sixth Fleet and U.S. Middle East Force.
Major communication systems at NAVSECGRUACT Naples included STREAMLINER, a fully computerized automated special intelligence system which supported the command, CTF-67, CTF-69, and ASWOC Sigonella. The Tactical Intelligence (TACINTEL) Satellite system provides near real-time tactical communications to fleet units. A mission realignment in 1987 brought the NAVEUR Cryptologic Fleet Electronic Support mission, including a multitude of deployable electronic equipment, to the command.
On December 17, 2004, U.S. Naval Security Group Activity Naples, Italy, ceased operations. Most of the 100 or so personnel working in the windowless Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence building at the Capodichino base, transferred to other U.S. Navy activities in Italy, Europe and around the world. After 50 years of carrying on the fine tradition of support to support, NSGA Naples was officially decommissioned and closed on March 31, 2005.