NSGA Shu Lin Kou, Taiwan, Republic of China was active from 1955 to 1979.
Located on the an abandon WWII Japanese fighter strip just a few miles from the village of Shu Lin Kou, the U.S. Army Security Agency (USASA) was the first to establish a direction finding (DF) site in Taiwan on February 16, 1955.
Later in 1955, a U.S. Air Force unit arrived and established a Detachment of the 6925th Radio Group Mobile (RGM), and following the Air Force in 1955, a Naval Security Group (NSG) Detachment.
Soon after the three services were established, negotiations were conducted for a formal base rights agreement with the Taiwanese government. The results of these negotiations was the establishment of Shu Lin Kou Air Station with the U.S. Air Force Security Service (USAFSS) as the host, and the USASA and NSG Detachment as tenants. Two years later, in June of 1957, the NSG Detachment was recommissioned as the U.S. Naval Security Group Activity, Shu Lin Kou. On July 1, 1958 the 6925th RGM was deactivated and the 6987th RSM was activated. In July 1963, the 6987th Radio Squadron Mobile (RSM) was designated the 6987th Security Group by the USAFSS.
The mission of Shu Lin Kou was highly classified that involved sensitive intelligence gathering operations. Missions included the intercept, transcription, decryption and analysis of intelligence from targeted foreign military electronic intelligence (ELINT) and communications intelligence (COMINT).
The Joint Communiqué of the United States of America and the People’s Republic of China, also known as the Shanghai Communiqué (1972), was an important diplomatic document issued by the United States of America and the People’s Republic of China.
On February 28, 1972, President Nixon signed the Shanghai Communiqué, giving Communist China “most-favored nation” status and promised the Communists on the mainland that the U.S. military would depart Taiwan. This communiqué set in motion the 6987th Security Group to close and departed Taiwan on April 1, 1977. The NSGA followed two years later and closed and departed Taiwan in February 2, 1979.
In 1996, the old village of Shu Lin Kou was demolished and is now a large industrial center.
Quality of Life:
Shu Lin Kou ( 树林口 ), which translates as “mouth of the forest”, took its name from the nearby village of Linkou. The air station was situated on a mountain plateau at 834 feet altitude, surrounded by tea plantations, approximately 15 miles northwest of Taipei in northern Taiwan. It was a few miles south of the Tamsui River and about five miles from the Taiwan Strait and China Sea. Shu Lin Kou was built on the former site of a WWII Japanese Army fighter airbase used against the Allies through the war’s end.
Shu Lin Kou Air Station was a small U.S. Air Force base located high in the mountains on the northern end and western side of the island of Taiwan, and twenty miles west-southwest from the city of Taipei. The main road from the city was paved, but, after turning off towards the mountain, the road was pure dirt and rocks. The transportation of choice was the 1/4-ton weapons carrier, because it gave the best ride. Jeeps and six-by’s were kidney killers.
In June of 1955, all personnel were housed in eight man squad tents. The only permanent buildings at the time were the mess hall, the two Operations buildings and the Communications Center. Depending upon the weather, the entire site was either dust or a sea of mud. The latrine was a slit trench over which were wooden seats inside a tent.
In the late summer or early fall of 1955, better living facilities were provided when several barracks were constructed. The buildings were made of metal walls and roof on a concrete slab for the floor. For heating, each building had one pot-bellied stove in the middle. The average size was about 20′ x 60.’
Initially, there was a very small Post Exchange and a small barbershop a tent. A haircut cost about 30 cents and a shave about a quarter. Shaves were interesting as the barber would shave your entire face: forehead, eyelids and anything else he could reach, all with a straight razor.