NSGA Fort Gordon was commissioned on November 1, 1995 at Fort Gordon, GA to perform Naval Security Group related operations.
Specifically, NSGA Fort Gordon provided cryptologic personnel to support the Fort Gordon Regional Security Operations Center (GRSOC).
On October 1, 2005, NSGA Fort Gordon was realigned under the Naval Network Warfare Command and renamed the Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC) Georgia. Today, NIOC Georgia provides cryptologic personnel to support National Security Agency / Central Security Service (NSA/CSS), Georgia and related tasks in support of fleet operations. Its overall mission is to provide Information Warfare and cryptologic expertise and personnel augmentation to fleet air, surface and submarine combatants. It also provides reachback/extended support to various Joint Forces Maritime Component Commander requirements.
In the summer of 2005, the GRSOC was renamed as the NSA/CSS Georgia. On March 5, 2012, NSA/CSS officially opened the new NSA/CSS Georgia Cryptologic Center at a ribbon-cutting ceremony where officials emphasized how the $286 million complex will provide cryptologic professionals with the latest state-of-the-art tools to conduct signals intelligence operations, train the cryptologic workforce, and enable global communications.
Today, NSA/CSS Georgia serves as a joint service facility established by the Director, National Security Agency to conduct continuous security operations on selected targets in support of national and warfighter intelligence requirements from Fort Gordon using remoting technologies.
Camp Gordon, named for Confederate Lieutenant General John Brown Gordon, was activated for infantry and armor training during World War Two. After the war, over 85,000 officers and enlisted personnel were discharged from Camp Gordon.
Camp Gordon, almost deserted after June 1948, came to life in September 1948 with the establishment of the Signal Corps Training Center. The base’s training mission grew with the addition of the Military Police School in September of 1948.
The Korean conflict again placed Camp Gordon center stage in preparing soldiers for combat. In addition to communications personnel, MPs trained for combat assignments while the 51st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Brigade formed three detachments. During the decade, Camp Gordon was also home to the only Army Criminal Investigative Laboratory in the continental U.S. as well as Rehabilitation Training Center and a U.S. Disciplinary Barracks. Camp Gordon became a permanent Army installation and was redesignated Fort Gordon on March 21, 1956. The U.S. Army Training Center (Basic) was activated in 1957.
During the Vietnam War, infantry, military police, and signal soldiers trained at Fort Gordon. While Signal Corps training continued to expand throughout the 1960s, other activities ceased through postwar deactivations and the MP school’s move to Fort McClellan, Alabama. In June 1962, all activities of the Signal Corps Training Center were reorganized under the U.S. Army Southeastern Signal School. On November 30, 1967, Headquarters, U.S. Army School/Training Center and Fort Gordon were organized to direct overall post operations and coordinate service school and advanced individual training. The Army consolidated its communications training at Fort Gordon with the relocation of the Signal School from Fort Monmouth, New Jersey. Fort Gordon was redesignated the U.S. Army Signal Center, Fort Gordon on October 1, 1974.
Leave a Reply