The following note was written by the IW OCM and JO Detailer and provided to community leadership. It has been slightly modified for sharing in this venue.
· PERS-472 provides dialogue to flag deck, CO/XOs, and all officers on periodic basis
· OCM provides periodic updates to flag deck and CO/XOs on periodic basis
· PERS-472 & OCM: Continue use of PERS-472 Facebook and Twitter accounts that recently came online to reach audiences outside of IW wardrooms
· PERS-472 and OCM: Investigate additional outlets and means for regular community communication, e.g. blogs, etc.
· Norfolk area had the greatest number of detailer visits and briefings in FY14 and FY15, but audience demonstrated general lack of understanding of the relatively new milestone and command screening process, and the need to complete milestones in each paygrade to remain upwardly mobile
· Highlighted that a forthcoming MILPERSMAN article will address declining 0-5 milestone/command resulting in no future eligibility
· Discussed change to command screening process, with a shift to screening to bank this year and reducing QIO used in previous years
· PERS-472 – Provide guidance on general process of 0-4 and 0-5 milestone slating, and process following selection to milestone/command to include declining and implications of doing so
· PERS-472 – Provide guidance on “decline” status and process of formally declining
· There is a lot of focus of late on Cyber and how it appears to be the most important of our three values
· Highlighted that we value all core mission areas equally though we have had a significant amount of Cyber growth over last 3-5yrs
· Highlighted that of the three, SIGINT is foundational to everything we do
· Lots of discussion on adding “IO” back into core disciplines, but reinforced that we focus on our three disciplines in support of “IO” IAW approved foundational principles
· CMD Leadership – Discuss core mission areas and relative weight they were afforded at the most recent FCC/C10F Commander’s Conference with their respective wardrooms
· OCM – Make current Foundational Principles Document available via PERS-472 Facebook page to facilitate discussion annotating that it is currently being revised
· There has been an ever present argument in this vein for some time within the community dating back to Fleet vs National discussions in the late 90’s
· There has been no formal decision on specialist vs. generalist within the community other than specific IW Community leadership expressing concern to promotabilty of those who choose to do so regardless of risk to promotion
· Several JOs have an expressed desire to specialize within one of the core mission areas (SIGINT-EW-CYBER) or within a fleet discipline (NSW, SUB, etc) but fear they will take career risks in doing so
· OCM – provide decision brief to IW flag panel on pros/cons of valuing and formally acknowledge specialization (community values, convening order, approved career path, etc) within IW community with results to be shared broadly
· Refresh/revalidate/rewrite Foundational Principles document – already taking place.
· Begin drafting and release a quarterly “Around the Community” Message/E-mail/Blog to increase awareness around the community.
1) What would be your top 3 concerns/issues for the community from where you sit now?
2) Are you willing to ask questions regarding any of these topics of your current leadership?
3) Is there any information that is currently not readily available that would help you making career decisions?