1895 – 1989

Rear Admiral Stone was born 2 December 1895 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and graduated from the Naval Academy in 1917. He saw escort duty during World War I. His postgraduate studies were in the fields of engineering and communications at the Navy Postgraduate School and at Harvard, where he earned a Master’s Degree.During the 1920s and 1930s, he served in OPNAV in the Office of Director, Naval Communications. Alternate tours included assignments as commanding officer of various destroyers in the 1930s. In 1935, Lieutenant Commander Stone was the Commanding Officer of the USS LONG (DD-209), then attached to Destroyer Division 18.
He was Executive Officer of the USS CALIFORNIA (BB-44) during the attack on Pearl Harbor. After brief service as Executive Officer of USS SALT LAKE CITY (CA-25), he served on the staff (Communications Officer) of the Eastern Sea Frontier – Rear Admiral Adolphus Andrews, USN, Commanding – in 1942.

He returned to Washington, D.C., in late October 1942 and relieved Commander John R. Redman as Assistant Director of Naval Communications for Communication Intelligence and Head, Communication Intelligence Organization – the forerunner organization of the Naval Security Group. He remained in this position until he was relieved by Captain Phillip R. Kinney on 10 March 1944. He led the organization through some of the toughest days of World War II including the move of OP-20-G from the old Navy building on the Mall to its new home at 3801 Nebraska Avenue.
Captain Stone returned to sea duty aboard a brand new battleship. The second United States ship to be named WISCONSIN (BB-64), was commissioned on 16 April 1944.
He was later promoted to Commodore and ordered to the staff of CINCPACFLT. His promotion to Rear Admiral was effective on 8 January 1946 and at that time he was designated as Director, Naval Communications. He was named to be the director of the newly formed Armed Forces Security Agency (AFSA) on 15 July 1949.
During the Korean War, he was assigned as Commander, Cruiser Division ONE aboard the flagship USS ST. PAUL (CA-73) and saw action in the Korean theater.
In 1955, Rear Admiral Stone was selected to be the Superintendent, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, where he served until his retirement from active duty in 1957.
His wife, Eleanor, died in 1963. Since 1964, Rear Admiral Stone had been involved in the establishment of a maritime museum in the Monterey area, and had been its director since its founding in 1971. Rear Admiral Stone was going to the office until just a few days preceding his death.
Rear Admiral Stone passed away on 24 September 1989 in Carmel, California.
Source: NCVA/

Echoes of our Past